Thing 2: Blogs I Like

In considering what my first blog post would be on, I got to thinking about all the blogs I follow, check-in on or read and thought I might do a quick overview of some, not all, of the blogs I like. I have broken them into two categories: work and fun. Some could blend into both but ultimately there is a distinction between what I would be interested in from a work point of view and what just tickles my fancy.

I like the following blogs for various reasons, content and design being the main attractions. Granted I may not read every post but there is something thrilling in getting notified of new content. I also have to appreciate the amount of effort that goes into each post and I like that each site views are increased every time I click in.

So, in relation to work related blogs, aside from supporting MU colleagues' blogs such as Academic Writing LibrariansResearch Support Librarian, and MU Library Treasures (which I may have assisted in creating).





I like keeping an eye on other library blogs like TCD's Tales of Mystery and Pagination, and Galway's The HardiBlog, James Hardiman Library, and I always learn a little something new with the Heritage Collections of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
For informing my career I regularly read the LibFocus posts, as they cover everything from first hand experience to conference reviews.


And for something completely different I do enjoy the informative library building posts on the IFLA Library Buildings and Equipment Section blog (again, a blog I may have had a hand in creating).

For when I catch a moment to myself, I like to do some blog hopping between my 'fun' blogs. First up is Travel, Music and More, by a friend of mine who, I feel, doesn't post regularly enough but I like how he does it at his own pace and really has no agenda.


For fun local amusement and to learn a bit of history I really like Come Here to Me!. A blog focusing on life and culture in Dublin. For a bit of amusement and what could possibly blend into a 'work related' blog is Awful Library Books, something I stumbled on browsing one time. Finally, for children's book ideas I like Delightful Children's Books, the content has not been updated for more than a year, but it is still relevant and useful.


There are many, many more that I like and read, this is just a taste. How I came across these blogs is a mixture of word of mouth, clicking a link or browsing and stumbling. The internet is awash with blogs but it is still easy to find something new and unique. I need to keep my eye out for the weird and wonderful, and there are plenty of those...Hungover Owls

Heritage Collections of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

Comments

  1. Hi Mary, thanks for sharing all those interesting blog links with us. I may tweet a link to them later on from the @Rudai23 account so that others get to see some good recommendations. I hope you're getting on OK with the Things so far and please reach out to me or the Twitter account, or by email, if you get stuck on anything. Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, that would be great! All going well so far.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts